Your Ad Here

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Blood Diamond



I just saw Blood Diamond and wow is all I can say. It is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time, and has definitely made me want to get more in tune to more international issues. It shows some of the most horrific images of Africans kidnapping, mutilating, and killing Africans that I have ever seen. Whole villages are mowed down by machine guns, kids are taken from families and trained to be vicious killers, and for many life is an inescapable state of fear, and it is all financed by the sale of diamonds to buyers overseas. I'm not trying to give away too much of the movie, but Blood Diamond shows so many different sides of the plight, from the African villagers, to the diamond smugglers, to the western journalists, to the rebels who are responsible for so much killing, and there is a captivating story weaved into it that will keep you interested. They do say that conflict diamonds are a very small percentage of the diamonds that are sold now and the situation is way better than it used to be, and they stress that you insist that your diamonds are conflict-free, but you won't see me wearing any diamonds ever. Just the small possiblility that I am contributing to the conditions in this movie, or that I am supporting companies that used to take part in it is enough for me to never buy a diamond. I turned on the radio on the drive back home and heard all kinds of rappers talking about their ice, and it just disgusts me now. My future wife, whoever you may be, better be satisfied with a diamond substitute for her engagement ring! At the end of the day, its just a damn rock anyway. Go see the movie.


Click here to see the trailer.
-Articulate

No comments:

Your Ad Here

SOHH.com Dailies